Friday, November 26, 2010

I Am Thankful For.........


Lots of things, but mainly progress. Progress is happening at the house every single day. Things are progressing so quickly in most cases that I am not able to keep up on the blog with what has been happening around the house. The vent hood going in is a good example. This happened on Tuesday, but I just have not gotten around to getting a good photo of it. So what you are seeing here is a vent hood made by Zephyr. Its not white as the picture might indicate, thats just the white protective coating on the stainless that I am going to leave on until the last days leading up to our move. Its hard to leave it there that way since I want to see it fully installed, but I just dont want to risk it getting scratched.


We also had all of our appliances delivered on Monday. A GE fridge and a Gas Range, Dryer, and Washing machine by Fisher Paykel. The range is not installed yet, so there are no pictures of it. Its just sitting in the middle of the kitchen waiting for the plumber to update the gas line connection so the stove can be connected. One thing the appliance delivery signals for sure - we are nearing the end of this process, and the final finishing touches are beginning to come through.


Lighting fixtures are also being installed. This is a photo of the light that is going over the sink in the kitchen. I originally had a different light in mind for this space, but when it was delivered it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. It ended up being the only fixture I have ordered to this point that I have returned. Instead, I chose this light and I am pleased with the choice. Its a very simple aluminum frame with pieces of thin lucite sticking in the slots cut for them. When its lit up it glows like a ball. Its a nice compliment to the space and works well with the porcelain tile and the stainless steel sink.


This is the master bathroom. I have been detailing this very much because we weren't really making any progress and then BAM it was all done in like 3 days. This is not the way it was envisioned when it was first laid out, but I really like the end result. The blue glass tile was not originally meant for the back splash here, but I like the color contrast between that tile, the counter top, the back splash tile, and the chrome faucets. The more I look at the "linen" finish on the tile, the more I like it. Its got such a nice smooth finish, and doesn't seem to dominate the space even if a good portion of the one wall is covered with the tile. I look forward to this space being finished in the next week or so.


This is a shot of the base shoe that was put down in the house on Tuesday. Traditionally most homes are finished with what is called quarter round, and its literally just a wedge of wood nailed in where the baseboard meets the floor board. I am not a huge fan of the quarter round. Especially with my desire to have this house be contemporary; I just didnt see quarter round fitting into the design scheme. So, Richard the magician carpenter "ripped" down a 1 x 4 pre-primed wood that was used for the baseboard originally and we had left over. Richard and his employee Adam did a great job with the detailing and the angled cuts on the base shoe for the whole house. Its going to be something that stands out in the house for years to come.

This coming week is going to be crazy. We are going to be finishing most everything in the house with the exception of the mystery item, and maybe the floors.

No comments: