Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Confounded Darkness


Lets just say that I am really having a hard time adjusting my photography schedule to the new hours of that its light during the day. I have been so used to getting home, checking in with the family, and running over to the house to take a few pictures before it gets dark. Well......that's not really working out very well for a bunch of the pictures I would like to take (fence, patio, garage). The good news is there are plenty of working lights in the house which is allowing me a modicum amount of pictures.


What is that on the openings? Doors! Funny how that sounds, but its true, after 4 months, there are finally doors on all of the rooms again. That also means that the whole house has trim as well. All of the windows and doors are finished, as well as the baseboard in the whole house. We chose to use a very simple trim, and we are not doing any crown molding at all. I will be much happier with this when the doors and trim are painted as everything it dusty and dirty (and primed yellow) that make things look just a bit off. Don't get me wrong, its a welcome change, I would just like to get all the way to the end result.


I don't think I have talked about this door at all. This is the the only interior door in the entire first floor. One of the main reasons we chose a sliding door here was because it was on such a high traffic area in the hallway to the basement where we will be coming and going constantly. So I decided if we put a sliding door on there it would be less likely that someone got hit with the door, or have to constantly be closing it (opening in wasnt an option with the small size of the bathroom) to keep it out of the way. I ended up purchasing this door from the sliding door company, and while expensive, its a really nice door that works just as it should. I think its the perfect touch for a tiny little powder room, and should help keep it from feeling any smaller then it already is.


This is a very yellow picture of the tile in the master bathroom. Unfortunately the light in here wasnt very good so I wasnt able to get a good picture of just what this tile looks like which is actually white with some silver and gray in it. What you can see from this is: the tile is a 6x24 porcelain and is being laid in a similar "stacked" manner as the girls bathroom, and we have put down floor heating product below the tile. I am pretty happy to have the latter, especially with this bathroom having two exterior walls and the likeliness that these floors will be cold in the winter without the heating element. Its one of the little things in the house that I am really looking forward to.



Last but not least is the progress in the kitchen. As I mentioned a few days ago, we changed our mind on what we were going to use for hte back splash and decided to go with 2x8 white porcelain tile in the kitchen throughout. We are about halfway through the installation of that tile and I really like the look we are getting. Its not going to help the kitchen feel any better, but I think its going to end up right in step with the finishes in the rest of the kitchen. Once the appliances and rest of the counter tops are in, it should look great.

Mostly tile work and some exterior work being done on the house this week. Painting will begin this weekend, and we will be doing a lot of the finishing work like installing bathroom vanities and such next week as well.

No comments: