Friday, December 10, 2010

Postponement



I just love taking pictures of this. Its just so pretty and unusual. I was over at the house yesterday afternoon doing some work and noticed that people were stopping on the sidewalk to look in the house - you can see the wall at night since there arent blinds on the windows yet. I am just glad to have our painter Verchelino working on this wall. He was able to do a lot of touch up work on the wall yesterday filling holes and sanding spots where the drywallers were unable to get it done. I have to say, where I have seen some of these other walls installed, I am really not sure how they got it to look as perfect as they did.....its near impossible. We are giving it a shot, and it looks good, but I can still tell that its 20 individual wall tiles were used to make this wall. I am looking forward to seeing this fully painted with the treatment Verch is using on it. I am sure its going to look awesome, its just going to need a bit more work to get it there.



Here is the massively awesome bookshelf that Gene has been working on for a week or more at the house. This is one of the most important pieces in the whole house, and Gene has built an absolutely beautiful bookshelf. This is not the finished look at all, its going to be finished on the outside with a flat wood trim, and the whole thing will be painted a high gloss white. I got the idea for the bookshelf from a company name Poliform which makes high end stuff sold at the Merch. Mart and Gene has created something that looks incredibly similar. When this is finished its going to be an amazing piece of the home.


Here is a somewhat dark shot of the carpet on the stairs that has been put in over the past few days. I had the idea that I wanted to do carpet tile on the treads only as I dislike the way that carpet rolls over the edge of bullnose hardwood - I think it makes the stairs look bulky, and its not a contemporary look at all. Most contemporary homes you see do not have carpet on the stairs at all - which is not an option for us (its a Jen requirement). As a result, I was looking for a way to still put carpet on the stairs and to eliminate something I wasnt a very big fan of and something help solidify the design concept. I really wanted to used carpet tiles on the treads of the stairs only, but I was having a hard time figuring out how I could secure them in a way that would keep them from peeling up at the edges. My good friend Gaelynn of Edge Design works with Tandus carpets and had a great idea for the way to deal with it - she found an aluminum trim piece that we ended up using to frame out each piece of carpet tile. I am extremely happy with both the look and the feel. I was concerned it was going to look / feel loud and commercial and it feels anything but that. It has a nice soft feel to it, and the aluminum trimming makes the stairs feel thin and very minimalist - exactly what I was going for.


Jack from Jax Glass installed the mirrors on Tuesday and I am just getting around to getting some pictures of them up. We chose to go with basic beveled edge mirrors that have back mounts as we couldnt afford the fancy backlit mirrors. I am really happy with the results, and as before, Jack did a great job with both quality of the cut / bevel, and the installation. We also used this type of mirror for the girls bathroom and the powder room.


Last up for today is the pendants that went in over the peninsula in the kitchen. These have been a bit of saga as I ordered the wrong wattage (who knew that anyone would sell a random German 277 volt item to someone in the US?) and having to have those go back to get the right wattage in there. Well, they are in, and despite the need for a replacement bulb right away - they look good and are the right amount of light for the space. These two pendants may be the lights I had the most trouble with from a decision making standpoint. I was having a very hard time finding a light that I thought would provide enough light to the space (this is where the kids will innevitably eat breakfast every day) and something that was small enough to not obscure the openness of the kitchen. Enter the Tech Lighting Pendant.

Bookshelf, basment floor, and fancy wall are being finished today. Version #2 of the railings is being installed today. Duct cleaning is happening today. Comcast is supposed to show to do their infrastructure install, and blinds are hopefully going to be delivered today for an install tomorrow.

Busy busy busy busy busy.....Oh yeah, we are not moving until next Wed, it just was pushing it too tight tomorrow.


No comments: