Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Big Day


Here we are, the day of reckoning for the house. Its pretty much done, and we are moving in one way or the other : ) I haven't dedicated a ton of time to this space for the last few days as I was working pretty hard to get the house in shape to be moved into. We officially started moving stuff over last night, and its nice to see the house with stuff in it. Its easy for it to look small and hard to utilize when there is nothing in the house. The above picture is of my second favorite light fixture in the house - the scotch light. They were ridiculously expensive, but they are proving to be exactly what I hoped - very dense but bright lights for the stairway.


Wider shot of the first floor before the final coat of paint went on the fancy wall yesterday. I am going to regret taking pictures of the house empty, but I think its been well documented enough that I can remember what it looks like.


Shot of the unpainted bookshelves and the fancy wall before the final coat of paint. Our kitchen table and chairs are in the background.


The finished stairway going into the basement. I am really happy with the way the second round of the handrails came out.



The steel guys did a great job stripping all of the paint off the handrail and polishing it to a finished steel look. They look SO much better then they did a week ago. Its exactly what I was thinking of when I originally envisioned this.

I just want to take a brief second to extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Nick Figaro. Nick died very suddenly yesterday morning leaving a wife and young daughter to carry on his legacy. Nick was an acquaintance of mine and a very close friend of both carpenters Gene and Mike (building the bookshelves) as well as several of my other close friends. He will be sorely missed in this world. He was a kind person who meant well with everything he did and its really sad to think he is no longer around. Rest in Peace Nick.

No comments: