Thursday, October 14, 2010

2 Days - Apparently Thats All It Takes


2 days to drywall an entire house. Call me crazy, but I would have thought this would take 3 maybe 4 days to get done. Instead the guys finished screwing up all of the drywall and cleaning out all of the scraps yesterday. Pretty impressive. So now all of a sudden we have a house. Its amazing how this house just came together visually in that short a period of time. You can walk through it and know exactly what we have to work with going forward. Its a very satisfying feeling. I am not going to lie.



Here is a shot looking up into the peak of the hallway. This picture does not do it justice at all. I am very happy that I decided to have this ceiling brought all the way up to the collar ties. Once we get a nice hanging light in there and do what I would like to the space, its going to be one of the focal points of the house. I am pretty excited to see this come together.


This is a shot of the foyer. As I think I have mentioned before, I decided to have the ceiling in the foyer be 1ft lower then the rest of the space in the first floor. I was not sure exactly how it was going to look when its finished, but I am glad that I did it now that I can see it complete. Once the new front door and some of the finishes are up, I think this space will be a nice entry for the home.

Here is a shot looking north in the first floor. The house looks really long from this vantage point. While the "striping" the floor provides helps with the longitudinal feel, its going to be very similar once the flooring is in (laid in a similar pattern) that I think this is pretty representative of the finished feel. Once the walls get mud and are sanded down; I think this space is going to look wide open - exactly what we are looking for.



Part of this process that has been a bit daunting has been choosing finishes like lights. Its really hard to straddle the line between good fixtures and affordable fixtures. One of the things that makes it incredibly hard is the volume of choices. There are just so many fixtures to choose from. Having a style (contemporary) and a finish (chrome) helps, but it still leaves you with hundreds to choose from when going to different sites. The way it has ended up working is a matter of trial and error. You can only tell so much from a website. I have found a few sites that I know and trust, but I am going to be returning three or four fixtures because they just aren't what I was hoping they would be. Its part of the process, I know, but its a bit frustrating when there are lead times on different things and you wait weeks to get something that doesn't look the way you want it to.

The light above is the epitome of what I want from a site and resulting choice. I bought two of these sconces from a higher end lighting design site and was hopeful they were what they looked like on the site. After 4 long weeks these two sconces showed up yesterday and......they were everything I hoped they would we be and maybe a bit more. I couldn't be happier with them, and think they are going to be fantastic in the stairway going down to the basement.

Going to be a quiet few days while they are doing their finishing work on the drywall. The next steps are going to be wood floor, tile work, kitchen installation and painting. Those things will all take us to the end of October when we will begin doing things like counter tops and finishing plumbing and lighting fixtures (called trim).

No comments: