Saturday, August 22, 2009

Two more big hauls and Peppers Ripening


This is actually only the first of two shots from the harvest today. I am not going to post the second one only because its mainly Juliets, and there have been plenty of pictures of those. In all, there are:

84 Jalepenos
293 LaRoma's
288 Juliet's
59 Big Boys
1 Orange Pepper : )

All in all it took my dad and I the better part of an hour to get these out of the garden. The LaRoma's specifically seem to close down as they grow, and you have to almost reach up the plant inside the cage to get them. Because these are cooking tomatoes, I have been looking to find a use for them. Besides giving them to a friends Italian Dry Cleaner, most of these will be going to the church connected to Nora's new school as a food donation. I am not going to end up doing anything with these, so they might as well be put to good use.


This is from Tuesday night. I picked tomatoes in the rain for about an hour or so, and came up with this haul. This is 315 Juliet's, and 53 Burpees. That includes the beast of a tomato on the bottom left side of the Burpee's. That tomato has to be more then a pound. Its a monstrous piece of fruit. I immediately bagged most of the these and handed them out to friends and family.


Orange Peppers!!! I have to say, its taken an TON of patience to let these peppers mature the way they have. It takes a frickin long time for these peppers to mature to the point they actually start changing colors. Crazy enough, they are all starting to turn now. We are going to have a whole lot of orange and red peppers, and I am really looking forward to it.


And....here is an orange pepper. The only one that really deserved to be taken off. This one is about 90% orangish-yellow. I plan on cutting this up tomorrow to see how sweet it is. I have high hopes as these were pretty darn good as green peppers :).


And then there is the broccoli. My only failure as a gardener to this point. The broccoli just never came out of flowering mode. From what I have read, its seems to be the cool wet weather has fooled this plant into thinking its still spring, and therefore it still flowering. It literally has been flowering for 3.5 months. I am going to be ripping this out tomorrow as its not going to go anywhere, and its starting to encroaching on the row of peppers next to it with late day sun. I figure there is no reason to deprive the peppers in any way for something that isnt going to produce. If you dont get it done, you are out :)

No comments: