Thursday, September 9, 2010

Coming Soon....Power.


Electrical started yesterday. Three guys crawling all over the second floor getting the electrical infrastructure started. The walk through on the electrical plan last Friday was pretty intense, and as a result is forcing me to think about lighting quite a bit over the last few days. Its funny how you take for granted things like the placement of outlets and switches. There really is a method to the madness, and if you put your mind to the way you will use your house, there are definitive do's and dont's for the way the house is layed out.


This is the shot of a triple switch in the girls bathroom. Its funny how something as simple as the bathroom fan / light being on the same switch or not becomes a decision that I have to make. There is no way to adequately state exactly just how many decsisions there are to make on a project like this. In this case we wanted the light in the ceiling to be able to be on without the fan being on, so we need two switches for the same fan. There were 30+ electrical decisions like that in the house just on the walk through. There will be 30 more before we are done wiring the house. Dont get me wrong, I knew they were coming, I just didnt understand that it would be this many and how detailed it would be. No matter how involved I am in this process, you still take certain things for granted.


Here is a great example of the decision making that needs to be done on a daily basis. I walked into the house at lunch yesterday for my daily check-in and found the electrician standing in the master staring at this wall (without all of the electrical infrastructure). I know what cabinets I am going to have (I started looking 4mos ago), and I have an idea where I want everything to be. However, it was essentially an idea of where things were going to go. As late as last week we were still talking about what to do about the lighting and mirrors for the master bath wall. When I walked in yesterday I had to decide where the lights were going to go in this bathroom and it needed to be the final decision. I made a decision, and that was that. Its not to say that you cant change things, but the idea is to get them right the first time and be done with it. Its the way you keep costs down and things moving. Its the mantra I keep coming back to it over and over again, if you are not a decisive person, this would be the most painful process for all parties involved. You cannot agonize over every decision. Just cant do it. There is no way you would be able to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time if you did.

More electrical today.

Carpenter is back tomorrow for more framing and deck work.

Last of the windows arrived yesterday.

Siding arrives tomorrow. Window trim on Monday. Siding should start going up on Tuesday.

Cement should go in this afternoon.

Going to be a busy end of the week, I will try to post more pictures as we get moving on this stuff.

No comments: