Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's That Time of Year Again....

Here we go. The aftermath of the winter and early wet spring on what was the garden last year. If you remember, I started taking out the grass around the garden in an effort to expand the garden this year. My goal is going to be to make a garden of large rectangles with a pathway around and through it all. This should allow me access to all of the spots in the garden without taking too much away.

One goal this year: Learn from what I did last year, and build on it.

Some things I learned last year:
1.There is such a thing as TOO many tomatoes : )
2.The soil here is fine if additional organic soil and peat are added, and its turned.
3.These plants are built to last, so plant them right and water them only when needed and they will do fine.
4.The hoe is your friend : )
5. Planting the same crop spaced out a few weeks will allow you a longer harvest with less volume all at one. time.

SO, yesterday I embarked on taking out the balance of the grass, and getting the land ready to be turned. I will not be doing anything to the soil that I worked last year aside from just rototilling it. Everything else will get turned, rake, and then have organic soil and peat added and rototilled again.

This is what it looked like at the end of the day Saturday. I did some more work on it this afternoon, and I am probably one full day's work away from it being ready. The landscape guy that I have used in the past is going to come by and take away all of the yard waste that I created, so I can start from scratch this year.

I will get more into what I am planning for this year, but its going to be big and diverse. I am looking forward to branching out and growing a bunch of different things as opposed to last years four items.

More to come, stay tuned......

No comments: