Friday, September 11, 2009

Up and Down


The weather! Its crazy! For all of the great cool wetness we had early in the year that helped my plants blow, the most recent month has been very painful for many reasons. But one main reason is that its been playing tricks on the plants.

As a result of two weeks of cool wet weather (starting 3 weeks ago), most of the tomato plants have reverted to flowering again instead of maturing fruit. SO, I have lots of new flowers on the top of the plants (Burpee's especially) and I have lots of tomatoes getting larger, but nothing ripening. What seems to happen once they do ripen is they are just too plump, and they are cracking. So, I am going to play around with taking them off the vine earlier, and trying to water a bit less (back to every 3rd day) and see if I can ride the coming warm streak (next 10 days) into some more ripening.

It may be a lost cause, but I am going to try anyway.

No comments: